Earlier this spring I posted on the opportunity for “staycations” to provide Alaskans a unique opportunity to explore Alaska, support the uniquely Alaskan owned tourism businesses and through our experiences, enhance future tourism from visitors. Here are the results from the survey.
What tourist activity have you enjoyed most sharing with your visiting friends when they come to Alaska?
dipnetting in chitina
Trips to Homer/Halibut Cove/Seldovia
Deep sea fishing trips
Am new here….just the scenery!visiting
various fishing runs,
panning for gold,
hiking, biking (Indian-Girdwood),
Fireweed 200 (when it was active),
Flying to Katmai N.P.,
taking them downtown to shop, etc.,
trying new/different & favorite restaurants,
spotting moose, sheep, beluga whales, etc.
Kenai Fjords Park & surrounding area
Seward SeaLife Center
road trips to local attractions
The beautiful landscape
What would your dream Staycation trip in AK be (where, how, when, who..) this summer?
- Katmai bears, polar bears, Denali hwy blueberries, etc–so many places I’ve not seen yet!
- 5 day hike in Brooks Range with another family. Probably fly in and out to more quickly get away from the road.
- Top of the World Highway, Trip to Kodiak, Katmai National Park with special friends that enjoy the adventure.
- Kayaking PWS
- All of it!
- Going back to Katmai, fly, during the summer, w/family &/or friends
- Visit to Kennicott Mine
- I would like to take my family out to Nome for a week. It would be great to take the kids on a charter and go see some of the abandoned mining sites.
- A solo writing retreat in the mountains.
- I want to visit the Villiage of Murkuryak on Nunivak Island.
Thank you for your responses. I hope you’ve gotten some new ideas! Below are some additional notes I picked up from the paper.
Updates – some suggestions from Scott M http://adn.ak.newsmemory.com/?publink=2f5a19841
More from Scott. http://adn.ak.newsmemory.com/?publink=27da1e825